Monday, September 10, 2012

Elk Hunting

There are many places to hunt elk in the black hills. They are sneaky animals and hard to find. There are a few different species of elk in the united states. The Black Hills has the Rocky Mountain species of elk. They are a very large animal. Adults average 700 pounds and the calves are much smaller. Rocky Mountain elk like open forests and no human activity. The Black Hills National Forest is a perfect home for these elk because we have no underbrush and have a very open forest.

I have never had an elk tag for the Black Hills but my dad has shot two elk in the hills in my lifetime. I was lucky enough to be on both hunts with him. It was great fun hunting but kind of a pain to pack the animal out. We had to cut the elk into pieces and pack it out in our backpacks. We had to make four trips each to get the animal to the pickup.  They are great fun to hunt and you have to be a lot more aware but the hard work pays off in the end.

11 comments:

  1. I like this blog because these may or may not relat to me. But I was driveing my dads company truck and i almost smoked a muse last year with the truck missed by about a one foot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is cool because I have seen moose in Alaska. Was the moose in North Dakota?

      Delete
  2. I have always wanted to hunt for elk or be along with someone for a elk hunt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a blast and worth it if you ever get a chance.

      Delete
  3. I would hunt elk for their massive racks and the meat tastes really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i want to draw a tag for the big horns they have some big bulls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Them there bulls have nice racks, phenominal racks.

      Delete
  5. Elk are pretty neat, it would be a thrill hunting them. We were driving home from Newcastle last night and saw two elk in the ditch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There used to be an elk population of about 100 around St.Onge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never eaten elk before, but I've heard it's better than deer. I'd like to try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete